Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Qcell is much like Verizon

Every week… actually I think every second day… something in the house breaks (I feel like I’ve mentioned this). Today it was the power in the living room and as a consequence the internet went down too. I know I’m not meant to complain and I can tell you are all thinking “gee, what does she expect living in some country no-one has ever hear of”… and it wouldn’t be so bad if I hadn’t just started second semester and still trying to organize my classes. I knew that getting the power back on was really simple, I just didn’t know exactly how to do it. Eight hours and numerous phone calls later the workman finally shows up, it takes him less that a second and the internet is back on! Great, good to go… oh wait not quite. Despite the fact that Qcell (the Gambian equivalent of Verizon) insist that there is nothing wrong, our internet is 80% of the time out of service. In case you’re wondering, Verizon’s terrible, frustrating service is not unique, apparently they are qualities that can be applied to any internet/phone provider anywhere! After a Qell representative came out to tell me there was nothing wrong with the internet we were hit with a 3000 Dalasi (about $120) bill. OK, are you sick of me yet? I think I am, I’ll stop complaining and just hope that one day I’ll be able to sort out my classes.

This Thursday in Gambian National Day and it marks the 16th anniversary of the current government. That is it has been 16 years since President Jemmeh took over power in a coup and is yet to be succeeded by anyone. Anyway, the main thing is that we get the day off on Thursday (no French for me and no work for Zack) and Friday may or may not be a holiday… apparently the president will decide on Thursday, interesting system. Despite the fact that it is raining nearly every day I am trying to convince Zack to go away this weekend. We have managed to get out and about for day trips but I would like to go and stay somewhere… not sure exactly where but I promise to let you know if we do anything exciting… it will make a nice change from the recent blogs about nothing!

We are having ‘new friends’ over for dinner tomorrow night… still deciding what to cook for dinner but I am very happy that my cookbooks (along with all our other things) have now arrived. I had fun last week unpacking all our things, many of which I haven’t seen since out apartment in Washington. It was a bit like Christmas! Well I’m off to the gym… yep that’s right I have actually joined a gym, something that I have always been morally against. I always thought that the best way to exercise was in the fresh air but given the fresh air here is like hitting a brick wall of heat and humidity I am retreating to the lovely lovely air conditioned exercise haven (sorry global warming). Plus going to the gym means going to the Sheraton which is like going on holiday! So Tuesday night is becoming Gym night.. To follow Monday’s ice-cream night. Oh and speaking of which, last night as we were eating our ice creams on the beach we watched the best sun set yet… although there was still a bit of haze the clouds were lit up in warm tones and the palm trees swayed to the gentle breeze (jealous?). I didn’t take any photos but I found this photo of the same beach online so you get the gist…

Well looks like the internet is working again so I better post this before it drops out again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I am a 28 year old student from Norway. I will be in The Gambia from 22.th August to 17th of December and I am looking for some contacts in the country. If you are interested to meet up let me know!

    My email: priler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete