Friday, July 30, 2010

Quick duck....

With a guilty look on his face Zack hunches over the package and tries to look innocent... "is she coming... can they see me?" he says in an urgent whisper. I glance around but I think they have gone, the coast is clear and we hastily reach down to grab some more before they see. Then my heart stops "quick, Zack hide it... pretend nothing is happening" I yell as his hand shoves the bag under the chair and out of sight. The Lady approaches casually and I rack my brain for some cleaver quip. "More peanuts?" she asks casually before strolling back... "phew that was close" I say letting out my breath. Zack nods his mouth already full.

Don't worry Dad we haven't joined a drug cartel smuggling cocaine to Europe. This is just a typical weekend at the Sheraton. After a particularly grueling workout in which I thought I might collapse we have retreated to the lovely hotel pool. Our gym membership allows us free access to the pool but unfortunately it does not supply us with free food and drinks which are out of our price range. We split a 100D coke (about $4 USD!) but at $15 for a cheese and tomato sandwich, the food is just too much. We get around this by bringing our own sandwiches but of course the hotel staff are not impressed with this... hence the secret stash under the seat.... anyone would think are smuggling drugs - perhaps then we could afford to eat at the Sheraton!

Well we didn't make it to Bintang Bolong last weekend as we planned due to a going away party for a friend who is going back to the states. The plan is to go tomorrow instead. However, we did go to one of our favourite places... Abuko Bird Reserve, I've poster photos of it before. I thought I would share this one with you because it was a particularly good visit. Zack filmed this great video of a woodland kingfisher catching fish in the crocodile pool. That boring photo of a log in the water is actually one of the resident crocs!


We also made a great brunch one morning - nutella crepes yum! But I mainly wanted to post this picture for Maddy and Beccy so they can see the country road mugs in good use!

I better go... I'm really late for French. Every morning I go to french classes at the Franco-Gambiene Alliance which is a bit like being back in high school - although now I think of it the class room is a little different from being at Toorak, over 30 students stinking hot, minimal resources and the power goes off all the time. I can't say I'm loving the classes but I do really enjoy learning French. I also have great plans to learn the two dominant tribal languages Wolof and Mendinka.

OK the video is taking forever (have I mentioned my annoyance for the internet?) and now I am really really late for French and I can see Lamin pacing around outside so I better go and post the video when I can, here is a photo instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment